Construction for Camp 2 - Tyee Camp, started in 1905 and was completed in 1909. It was located ten miles southeast of Camp 1 or right on top of McMurray Hill.
They logged all that time west of Lake McMurray and south to the Snohomish County line, taking always their railroad with them. At each camp they had more and better equipment. At Camp 2 they had two yarders and haul-back (pulls line back into woods).
The hundred men at the camp were employed as fallers, buckers (sawed logs into certain lengths); choker setters (fastened cable around log that was to be yarded); whistle punk (signaled by whistle to donkey when it was safe to yard a log out); high rigger; donkey operators, cooks, blacksmith, saw filers and loader men.
Sometimes logs were pushed down the railroad by the locomotives because of their large size. The men used a broad-ax to hew out the 4-feet six-inch square logs by 74 feet long road bed ties. They shipped those ties to Seattle on the Great Northern Railroad. (Being also PS&BRR)
In 1922 English built a completely new railroad spur through McMurray and then wound up through the hills to the Pillchuck Creek area.
The new railroad had 39 bridges, the longest being 1,500 feet, at Day's Spur, 2 1/2 miles south of McMurray.
In 1922, English purchased Camp 8, or Finn Settlement, on Pillchuck Creek from the Parker Bell Lumber Co.
It continued to until 1924, which was also the same year that English bought the first gasoline-powered donkey in the region.
A 14 foot diameter tree is pulled by Oxen across a bog.
The brand "B" on the Oxen could stand for being owned by the BAKER RIVER company.
It could also stand for the Bass Lumber Co. which existed in the Red Barn area.
Loading logs onto rail cars near Lake McMurray, Washington State,
A Mill at Lake McMurrey
The Nakashima farm began as a mill site owned by the Bass Lumber Company. The mill's daily capacity was; 225,000 feet lumber, 750,000 shingles, and 1000,000 lath.
The land had long ago been converted to dairy farming. The shingle mill that once stood on the property was a mass of brick by the 1930s and one of the sons could remember hauling the brick away in preparation for cultivation. There wasn't a weed in the field when they owned the property. It was said to have been a beautiful place. The creek that runs through the property had been dammed and the shingle bolts were floated into a pond. The creek is still there, flowing into Pilchuck Creek to the south. Today there is a cedar-log bridge over this creek that was likely built by the Nakashimas.
This track, abandoned in the 1970s or 1980s (depending on the section), was still in use when the Nakashimas were forced to sell the farm in 1942. About 89 acres of the original Nakashima Farm, including the only remaining structure -- the barn -- are now owned by Snohomish County and will be the trailhead for its Centennial Trail which follows the route of the rail line. Nakashima HISTORY