PUERTO WILLIAMS, Chile
Home of Eugenio Arellano Palma in 1989
Eugenio Arellano was Commander of Quidora PTF-81
He is now Commander of pilots
guideing tow USS Constellation CV-64 past Chile.
Puerto Williams is the seat of the Commune of Cabo de Hornos
or in America this would mean "Seat of the County of Cape Horn".
Eight (8) points of interest are pointed out on the aerial view above with the letters "A - H" and are detailed below.
Puerto Williams, located on Isla Navarino, is the capital of Antártica Chilena Province. It is also the capital of the Commune of Cabo de Hornos (formerly Navarino) and is administered by the
CABO de HORNOS
which also administers the Commune of Antártica. Cabo de Hornos is the only municipality in the country which administers more than one commune.
Tourism to Puerto Williams and Isla Navarino is being encouraged. The community has a small airport. Most lodgings for tourists are hostels.There are several trails for multi-day hikes and back-packing trips in the mountains south of Puerto Williams. Remains of indian campsites and fishtraps can be found along the coast east of Puerto Williams. Puerto Williams is home to the Martin Gusinde Anthropological Museum, which depicts the lives of both the Yamana or Yahgan and Selknam peoples who once inhabited Tierra del Fuego. For easy exploration of some of the subantarctic forest, the Omora Ethnobotanical Park is five kilometres down the road to the west.
Puerto Williams claims to be the southernmost "town" in the world, using the definition of "town" (pueblo in Spanish), established by the National Bureau of Statistics in Chile. The town was named after Captain John Williams (or Juan Guillermos), who founded Fuerte Bulnes (Fort Bulnes) on the Brunswick Peninsula in 1843. Founded by geopolitical reasons Puerto Luisa was its original name. Since foundation in 1953 the town has served primarily as a naval base. The Naval ships are based as shown in photo below. This being also where the former PTF-81 was moored back in 1989.
Tourism has helped to increase the
economic activity of
It has a population of nearly 2500, including both naval personnel and civilians. Access is by air or by a ferry service from Punta Arenas, 350 kilometers to the north in Chile, or by a private yacht charter from Ushuaia, Argentina. There is, however, no direct, continuous commercial link with Argentine territory. Most of the houses in Puerto Williams belong to the Chilean Navy.
Ship PSG-71 Micalvi: A grounded German cargo boat, the Micalvi was decommissioned in 1961, then used as pontoon. On 24 August 1961 anchored in Puerto Williams and was declared historical ship, and museum. Since 2007 used as clubhouse and restaurant in the local yacht harbour, frequented by navy men and yachties. It is grounded, and all of the lower decks are underwater at high tide. Micalvi Naval Club located within Lauto Harbor
Click either Image for Video
With the founding of Port Williams, a "Health Post" was built that was attended by a nurse sent by the Navy with a pharmacy attached.
Both served as a public service to the inhabitants of the jurisdiction of Navarino. The most serious cases were transferred to Punta Arenas.
Due to the growth in demand for health, in 1957 it became necessary to build a small hospital having a resident physician, a practitioner and a midwife. At the beginning of that year President Carlos Ibáñez del Campo visited the city, giving instructions necessary for the construction of a building of public health.
In April 1958, the Commander in Chief of the Navy, Vice Admiral Leopoldo Fontaine Firm structures presented the house of relief was in charge of the Navy to avoid a double administrative unit, as it was within a institutional basis with staff that belonged to another ministry. It was as well as the Navy provided with a "Naval Health Officer" in permanently and with date of April 24, 1960, he was inaugurated as the "House of relief and first aid" the first Naval Hospital of Puerto Williams. Its first director was First Lieutenant SN Fernando Rivas Gonzalez. In 1962 the building was expanded to annex a laundry, kitchen and living room boiler for central heating of the hospital. The years 1979 and 1999 saw more extentions
Click for ->
Click tower for tour by
Control Tower Operator