After securing extensive timber rights
in the vicinity of Lake Whatcom, the
Lake Whatcom Logging Company was
formed, July 23, 1898, operating under
this name until 1901, when the Larson Lumber Company was organized by
Peter Larson, Julius H. Bloedel and
John J. Donovan. A mill was erected
at the town of Larson on Lake Whatcom.
A second mill was built in 1906, and in
1913 the large plant of the Bellingham
Bay Lumber Company - better known as
the Cornwall mill - was purchased and all
the interests were consolidated as the Bloedel Donovan Lumber Mills.